Monday, June 29, 2009

It Was Two Children, In the Laundry Room, With the Steak Knife!

Wow, it's almost been a week since my last post and not from the lack of things to write about. Due to the fact that I have been getting very little sleep, I have failed to stay awake after my children are in bed long enough to make an entry. I have made a few attempts, but I don't think my hubby would like it if I drooled on the keyboard after falling asleep mid typing. At least it hasn't been longer (like a year). Anyway, I hope that some people are enjoying my efforts. Comments are welcome. Here is another mother experience. I would love to hear some of yours if you are brave enough to tell!!

I have mentioned in a previous article that my children are very inventive. I must write about one such instance to demonstrate. Last Friday afternoon, I walk into my laundry room to put something away (probably dirty clothes). I put away what I need to and turn around to see one of my steak knives laying on top of my washing machine. How odd! (You would think after so many times I would stop thinking that and start knowing that my children are behind such things.) I pick up the steak knife to return it to the kitchen and see my cat coming out of our crawl space door right next to the washer. (We have a split level home and our entire main floor has a 4 foot crawl space for storage under it. It's all lit up and everything. I love it! The only way to access it is a door in the wall next to our washer.) Normally this door latches with a magnet, but no magnet is any match for a curious cat and 4 children so it is tied closed with a thick rope (for extra safety) to one of the shelf supporters above the washer. At this point I'm asking myself how they could get the rope untied and I go to grab the handle to pull the door shut again and hoping the cat has left no surprises in our crawl space. Finally, I notice the frayed rope still clinging to the door handle and a light bulb turns on (I wouldn't be surprised if you could actually see one over my head) as I realize my children have sawn through the rope with the steak knife. (And all this for a little ride on toy that they weren't supposed to have anyway and the toy isn't even under there.) My shoulders slump in surrender to the thought of what this entails. It's only a matter of time until they figure out that they can cut through the plastic fridge lock (my last hope of control). Heaven help me.

5 comments:

  1. LOL! Sounds like you need to put the steak knives under lock and key. And probably the scissors. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least they only cut the rope! When you said the cat came out from under the crawl space I was thinking he'd have a HORRIBLE hair cut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments!! I needed the good laugh today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should put the knives and scissors in the fridge with the fridge lock on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you're onto something honey.

    ReplyDelete