Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mommys Are NOT Trampolines!!

So my husband is sitting here harassing me about how long it's been since I last wrote an entry. I just checked the date of his last entry; Feb 4 2009. Now I don't feel guilty!

As I sit here thinking about what I want to write about, a few things come to mind to share. I'll start at the beginning of this week.

On Monday, I had a sister and her family come visit us from Nevada. We decided to go to Hogle Zoo for the day. We had a great time and we had no lost children or accidents. Yea!! I think that my childrens' favorite animals were the monkeys. I wonder why?

On Tuesday we went to Timpanogos Cave. And before you ask, yes we took all five children. Thankfully, we had four adults and two teenagers to help. I have to take the liberty and brag about my husband for a moment. If anyone reading this knows anything about Timpanogos Cave you know there is a very steep climb of about 1 1/2 miles to the cave entrance. Well, we started to hike up this paved trail and I realized about 5 minutes into it that "the old grey mare just ain't what she used to be." Because of being extremely out of shape (when did that happen?) I carried a blanket and some jackets up the hill while my hubby had the baby in a front snugglie, a backpack with all of our provisions (about 20lbs), and our youngest toddler most of the way up the mountain. He also repeated this on the way down as well and is still alive to tell about it. Not once did he complain. He is so wonderful.

The tour of the cave was great but I had a hard time hearing anything due to my youngest toddler screaming every time we had to stop because they wanted to keep going up the stairs and play and it was also nap time. I carried them all the way through but it wasn't so bad as the hike. This same child decided to throw their bottle down on the hike back to the bottom of the mountain. It rolled right of the trail and stopped right on the edge of steep cliff. If it had gone any farther the bottle would still be there, but I was able to recover it safely.

On Wednesday I had the opportunity of spending time with the younger three while my hubby took my oldest two swimming. When they left, my youngest two were still napping and so I got to have a rare one on one with my son. We filled the pool out back and played in it and I had some of those moments that you can't quite put into words but that you treasure up in your heart forever. It is times like those that you really see the eternal prospective of everything and what is most important in life. I have been rejuvenated and am willing to be a better mother from that experience.

Friday, my hubby and I had our "date night" after putting children to bed. We played some games and decided to make it more interesting by playing with "wagers". My hubby has been trying to coerce me into exercising (words cannot begin to tell how that word makes be cringe) so we were using exercise as our "payment." I was doing good and my husband was doing lots of sit ups, but then my winning streak came to a halt. I was a good sport and did my exercises when I lost. On one particular turn, I had to do 10 girl push ups. No problem. I get in position and drop to do the first one and SPLAT... I fall flat on my face. (This is embarrassing to write but motivating to do something about it.) Thank goodness I was born with a great sense of humor or there would have been many tears shed. I laughed and tried to do my 10. I have never been such a wimp for as long as I can remember, but I did it!! It took a long time, but I did it!!

Saturday was quite exciting. I spent the morning playing with my family in the back yard and the afternoon and evening in the ER. I was relaxing on the trampoline just laying there and enjoying the sun, the children laughing and thinking it was a good day. My hubby came over to join me and the children soon followed. They were crawling on us and playing around until it was getting to be too much so my hubby asked them to climb off and let us relax. I had my eyes closed and was still laying there while the children were climbing off when I felt this sudden blow to my abdomen. One of my children had decided to take one last jump and did a knee drop right into my lower stomach. I gave the child a tongue lashing and a good spanking out of reaction and then the pain hit. I rolled over into fetal position and couldn't move.

I don't know how long I laid like that but I am one of those people that will not let anyone touch me when I am hurt. My hubby was doing his best to take care of me, though. I finally let my hubby help me into the house and I tried to take care of the hungry baby and other things hoping the pain would subside. It only got worse so I asked for a blessing and felt prompted to go in and have things checked out.

My sister in law came and took me to the Instacare but they just sent us to the ER. I was hoping to avoid it but I guess not. While we were waiting the pain just kept getting worse and worse. They finally called me back and the doctor ordered blood work and a CAT scan. He also ordered some medication for the pain. I am not big on pain medication but was more than happy this time for some relief. (I had all my children without an epidural or pain medication so this should tell you how bad I was hurting!) It was wonderful to feel the pain just disappear when the drugs hit, but I felt really loopy too and that's the part I don't like. Oh well, a fair trade. When the tests results came back they were clear of internal bleeding (PHEW) but they also showed severe bruising of several body organs. They sent me home with more pain meds and told me that things could still change in the next 24 hours so I had to be very careful. They didn't have to worry about that. If I even think about doing anything that stresses those organs, I start to hurt!

Today, I went to church and subbed for the primary chorister while I was all loopy from pain meds. It was kind of fun looking at things from a different prospective trying to act like I felt normal. I must say I feel tons better than yesterday but very tender still. I think I'll take the doctor's advice and not let my children use me as a trampoline ever again!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for bragging, hun. I enjoyed your entry. Love you!

    ReplyDelete